Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (CSCC) is the second most deadly form of skin cancer1-4
It is estimated that approximately 7,000 people in the United States die every year from CSCC1,5,6,*
Many patients with advanced CSCC have a poor prognosis.7 While most early-stage CSCC is curable with complete surgical excision and radiation, patients with advanced CSCC have historically faced poor outcomes.7-10
- CSCC accounts for the majority of nonmelanoma skin cancer deaths1
- CSCC incidence is expected to increase 2% to 4% each year11
- Patients with CSCC have reported concerns about the spread of disease and the effects of surgeries that may be disfiguring12
- Mortality above 70% has been reported for patients with regional or distant metastasis7,11,13
Historically, patients with advanced CSCC have lacked FDA-approved treatment options14,15
- Califano JA et al. In: Amin MB et al, eds. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th ed. Springer; 2017:171-181.
- Karia PS et al. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;68(6):957-966.
- Cancer stat facts: melanoma of the skin. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program website. https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/melan.html. Accessed April 8, 2019.
- Watson M et al. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64(47):1312-1314.
- Rogers HW et al. JAMA Dermatol. 2015;151(10):1081-1086.
- Clayman GL et al. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(4):759-765.
- Brunner M et al. Head Neck. 2013;35(1):72-75.
- Skin cancer treatment (PDQ®). National Cancer Institute website. https://www.cancer.gov/types/skin/hp/skin-treatment-pdq. Updated April 26, 2018. Accessed April 8, 2019.
- Haisma MS et al. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;75(4):722-730.
- Mullen JT et al. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006;13(7):902-909.
- Burton KA et al [published online June 29, 2016]. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2016;17(5):491-508. doi:10.1007/s40257-016-0207-3
- Rhee JS et al [published online for public access]. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2006;8(5):314-318. doi:10.1001/archfaci.8.5.314
- Oddone N et al. Cancer. 2009;115(9):1883-1891.
- Ribero S et al. Curr Opin Oncol. 2017;29(2):129-135.
- Stratigos A et al. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51(14):1989-2007.